Sunday, November 8, 2009

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs.....



Yesterday after a long long time, I decided to go watch a movie with my kids. I barely go to the movies nowadays. Being a claustrophobic, to sit in a cinema with a bunch of strangers is not really my cup of tea. I always need someone I know to accompany. Lucky I have my two kids and they are old enough to actually watch the movie. So I guess most my viewing activities would be surrounding animated movies and kiddies stuff. I don't really mind, I love cartoons and animation.

Yesterday we went to watch Cloudy with a chance of meatballs. It was an interesting animation about a genius inventor living on an island where the main food is sardines. The animation was nice, the story line was a bit predictable but interesting, and the jokes were hilarious. I didn't watch it as 3D because it was a last minute impromtu decision last night and they only had a normal show.

There was this one character - a weather girl who was extremely smart, but because when she was younger people use to make fun of her as a nerd, that she decided to dress differently and act as if she was not that intelligent. In a way, I could relate to this character. Not just the fact that she's incredibly smart and hot, but also the fact that she gets excited over cute nerds, perhaps almost the same way that I do. A guy can easily woo me off my feet talking about biological processes in cells and cell regeneration or inventions despite being a nerd compared to a guy with a good ride but has a brain the size of a walnut.


When I was younger, I spent my free time reading through encyclopedias and gazing at stars while identifying clusters and planets. I never played with barbie dolls, I was more interested in reading, writing and trying to get in with my two elder siblings, whom I have always regarded as the two smartest people around me. Whilst I lived within my family, everything I was doing appeared normal until I was sent to boarding school. That's when I realized I was so different than other people and it took a few years for my friends to get adjusted to me.

There was a time that I was ashamed of being different, so I started to change my appearance to suit my current circle of friends. I had this 'bimbo' mode that I liked to play about, just to blend in. It was easier to blend in when people think that you are similar to them, but after awhile I got bored of it, and because I find that these are just material friends, not really worth my effort.

But I did love the new look transformation I made. I told myself, I can be smart and look gorgeous at the same time so its not a big deal. It also gives a little bit of camouflage of first impressions.

For those who haven't watched the animated movie, well its a nice movie to watch. Its about being who you are and appreciating your loved ones. Although I did feel a bit nauseated seeing all the foods falling from the sky but that's just me. My favourite part was when it rained ice cream :).



2 comments:

HaZe said...

I'm sure u'd be happier if it rained double-shot fondente tho, rite? :P

Manja M said...

Haha... it'll be hot Nanie.....
I would still like a colder climate.. so ice cream still the best. Especially if they had green tea and vanilla... or pistachio.. yum yum.