Friday, June 26, 2009

If you are as smart as you think you are....

Today a had a nice visit from a young friend. We chatted about a lot of things, and one of the things that stuck to my head was a conversation about smart people. I was telling her, how I feel that I have to find a guy who can match my hyperactive brain or else I would drown in boredom. I related to her one of my blind date stories where I went out with a guy who may have well have half the IQ I was having, and I was bored stiff, and even had time to befriend the bar tender (for the record, I only drink mocktails and plain water).

She then told me about some of her colleagues who are extremely smart in academics but completely refused to go out and enjoy life, thus complains that her life is unhappy. And thus, my question goes - Is she as smart as she think she is? Yes definitely she is smart in academics, but academics does not account for everything.

This is my idea of a highly intelligent person. When I was younger, most my colleagues would regard me as a bright student who is normally top of the class. But when I started working, I had many colleagues who were extremely smart but their life were not so happy, and they were not as rich as they would like to be. Since then I started thinking, am I as smart as I think I am?

To me a smart person is not only good with knowledge but is also good at applying knowledge to have a happier and more meaningful life. From there I challenged myself. I told myself if I am as smart as most people think I am, I would definitely be able to make my riches and also live a happy life. It wasn't just about scientific data and evidence based statistics. It was a more holistic approach of using whatever knowledge God has given you to live a meaningful and satisfactory life.

No comments: