Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day......

Its February the 14th again and perhaps there's a lot of love in the air. Valentine's Day got its name from Saint Valentines but none of them were related to love per se, only perhaps one of them who secretly conducted marriages during the Roman Claudius II rule, where the Roman pagan believed that married men did not make good soldiers.
Some scholars believed that Valentine's day was actually a christian version of the pagan celebration Lupercalia which was the dedicated to the sacred marriage of Zeus and Hera occurring in mid-February which was associated with fertility but no actual link was found between the two.
Regardless of the history, Valentine's Day has been an object of consumerism where a study in US showed that men spent more during this period to buy gifts for women. Flower companies, chocolate companies and other lovey dovey items profit so much from this day and it is the second most celebrated day in US after Christmas.
The culture has spread all around the world, and most people would celebrate the day as a day to remember your love ones. I still remembered when I was 5, and it was Valentines, and the teacher in school asked us to make greeting cards for our parents and I made one for my mum and dad. My mum's card had a large rose on it with a big red hear, dad's one was blue with a big red heart and I ran back home with the cards to give them to my parents. And I received one card from an anonymous admirer, but I was 5, so I can't remember exactly who it was.
The habit continues on even after I returned to Malaysia, where I would still make Valentine cards for my parents uptill highschool I stopped. I don't remember why but perhaps it was due to teenage conflict. Sometimes I wish my mum was still around, I would have made her a beautiful card and throw in some roses for her just to show how much I care about her. Alas this year I will be celebrating with my baby girl - maybe go visit my godsister and her baby who's having a birthday party tomorrow.
No romantic dinners or dates? Nope. This year I'm completely single and have been for more than 6 months now. Any guys in lieu, maybe not yet. Besides, its not like we celebrate giri-choco here, if not I'll be so broke. Well happy loving day everybody.......

No comments: